Re: Is there any way I can make garbage collection aggressive in SQL 2000 or 2005?

From: Paul <paul_at_test.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 11:55:00 +0100

Nimesh wrote:
> Please let me know if there is any way to make to this possible.
> And another issue we are facing is that, SQL 2000 is consuming a lot of
> memory and not releasing it. Is there wany to make this SQL 2000 to
> release the memory when it does not require.

I think this behaviour is by design.

Databases work well when a lot of the data is in memory (because memory access is faster than disk access). So SQL Server and other DBMSs will try to use as much of the available memory as they can. So if you have a 2GB database it will potentially try to use something in the order of 2GB of memory.

If they share a machine with other applications, I think they will release memory when other applications require it.

What other applications do you have running on the same machine?

You might also want to check in a SQL Server-specific newsgroup such as microsoft.public.sqlserver.* or comp.databases.ms-sqlserver for more specific information.

Paul. Received on Mon Aug 22 2005 - 12:55:00 CEST

Original text of this message