Re: SQL Humor

From: Paul <paul_at_test.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 00:05:37 +0100

Hugo Kornelis wrote:
> So what exactly is the difference between a number that might reach
> 30,000 or a number that might reach 40,000? And how exactly is that
> difference different from the difference between a 4096 character string
> and 4097 character string?

No difference; it's really just a choice of whether you want the constraint as part of the domain definition or just as a standard check constraint in the database.

Are there any reasons to choose one over the other? Or is it an arbitrary choice? I'm thinking here in theory rather than for a specific DBMS. Paul. Received on Sun Aug 21 2005 - 01:05:37 CEST

Original text of this message