Re: SQL Humor

From: Hugo Kornelis <hugo_at_pe_NO_rFact.in_SPAM_fo>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 00:43:09 +0200

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 10:49:59 -0400, JT wrote:

>Perhaps I'm misreading your point, but it's data in a Char column that
>typically contains trailing blanks that need a Trim. A VarChar won't contain
>extraneous blanks unless the developer explicitly includes them in the
>value.

Hi JT,

I think that Joe refers to the ANSI comparison rules for char and varchar:

For comparison of char with different length, padding is also required, but this padding is independent of the actual data; it's the same for each row and the amount of padding can be determined in the compile phase. (But in joins, you should not compare two different-length char columns anyway!)

Best, Hugo

--

(Remove _NO_ and _SPAM_ to get my e-mail address)