Re: SQL Humor

From: Gene Wirchenko <>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 14:17:26 -0700

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 22:37:45 +0200, Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <> wrote:

>Of course, the member number has no physical reality, and it will be
>an automatically assigned serial number (without reuse of defunct
>numbers when people quit or die) -- generally, it seems to be what you
>rant against.

     No, it is when the number is referring to how the data is physically stored. If the number is a record number or an address or other such, then it ties your data to the physical implementation. A member number (if used just as that) would not do that.

>Am I doing something stupid here? If so, why?

     You are misunderstanding.

Gene Wirchenko Received on Fri Aug 19 2005 - 23:17:26 CEST

Original text of this message