Re: dbdebunk 'Quote of Week' comment

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 16:39:07 GMT

Dan wrote:

> On 8/19/2005 10:15 AM, Alex Papadimoulis wrote:

>> In my travels, I have been to all corners of North America. I've been
>> atop mountans. I've peered out of skyscraper. I've even flown in a
>> plane. With all my traveling experience, I have yet to find any
>> evidence whatsoever that the earth is round; as far as I can tell, it's
>> flat as a board (moutants et al withstanding).
>>

> Ever watch a ship disappear over the horizon?

Heh, all I was told was that the horizon was a line and the closer the ship got to it, the smaller it would seem until it disappeared. Didn't occur to me that the ship might be going downhill. I figured that the curved horizon must be a side-effect of the thick windows in airplanes.   Personally, I think it's just that it disappeared because of my imperfect eyesight.

Cheers,
p Received on Fri Aug 19 2005 - 18:39:07 CEST

Original text of this message