Re: SQL Humor

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 16:27:46 GMT

--CELKO-- wrote:
> Talk about being old, do you remember "The Anti-Digit Dialing League"
> that got national press when we went from exchange abbreviations to
> all digit dialing? When we went to ten digit dialing in major metro
> areas, nobody said a word.

Heh, they were right and I did, but nobody listened, including the telephone manufacturers. Talk about keys! If they had asked me, I would have wanted area names *as well as* exchange names, say Vancouver Cedar Cottage instead of the 604-708-xxxx that I have to remember. If I went to Europe, I'd expect that there might be a conflict with the local names, but I'd be expecting to have to make lots of other adjustments too, like having to remember that in South Africa, directions will often state that one must turn left at the next robot. I'll bet the other 'phone companies are pretty much as screwed up with their number 'keys' as Bell Canada who for years couldn't send a single bill if one had two residential 'phone numbers and maybe still can't for all I know. (Apparently, they thought the telephone number *is* the customer!) The only smart thing I ever saw them do was introduce 'invisible keys' to the 'phone book, making it easier to lift and thumb through.

Thanks for listening to my rant!

p Received on Fri Aug 19 2005 - 18:27:46 CEST

Original text of this message