Re: SQL Humor

From: AK <AK_TIREDOFSPAM_at_hotmail.COM>
Date: 19 Aug 2005 08:32:56 -0700

Those who ignored the guru are probably sitting pretty. A BIGINT has plenty of room to grow. All those char and varchar tables, however, are going to need rewriting. Doesn't that sound familiar? <<
it does.
We have considered the guru's advice and found it very impractical in our situation.
More to that: starting several years ago, more and more of our corporate clients are demanding that we wipe out their employee's SS#s in our database. , so we just run

update ... set ssn=0 where ...

and that is that, the business keeps running. Note that some privacy advocates are suggesting a law forbidding insurance companies from storing their clients SSNs. Should it happen, we shat just drop an index and run an update without where clause. Received on Fri Aug 19 2005 - 10:32:56 CDT