Re: dbdebunk 'Quote of Week' comment

From: JGE <finarfinjge_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 00:58:40 -0000

On 2005-08-18, -CELKO- <jcelko212_at_earthlink.net> wrote:
> The fact that this question is being considered is a sign that we have
> a lot of really bad SQL programmers. By definition a relational key is
> a subset of attributes of an entity or relationship being modeled in
> the schema. This is absolute foundations of the Relational Model kind
> of stuff.
>
> IDENTITY is an exposed PHYSICAL locator. What does that phrase mean?
> The value is created by looking at the internal state of the hardware
> at the time a PHYSICAL record containing a row is inserted into
> storage. Its purpose is to locate the row without any regard to what
> the data means.
>
> Think about using a pointer or a track/sector number; same thing but
> different mechanism. But SQL does not have a pointer data type or the
> mechanisms to handle pointer operators, garbage collection and
> housekeeping, so 20+ years ago the original Sybase SQL Server exposed
> an integer that can map back to the contiguous storage model used under
> the covers.
>
> IDENTITY is not an attribute in the data model and can never be an
> attribute in the data model because it does not exist in the reality
> from which you derive your data model. The purpose is to fake a
> sequential file's positional record number, so I can reference the
> PHYSICAL storage location. Sure, I lose all the advantages of an
> abstract data model, SQL set oriented programming, carry extra data,
> destroy the portability of code and have no data integrity. Who cares?
> It is easier to write than a real normalized RDBMS schema.
>
> More and more programmers who have absolutely no database training are
> being told to design a database. It takes six years to become a
> Journeyman Union Carpenter in New York State. But a programmer with
> only a few years in a procedural or OO language is expected to produce
> a correct and usable database.
>
> What is he going to do? The smart ones will get some help and beg for
> training, knowing they are over their heads and can ruin the company.
> Most of them simply start programming SQL as if it were their native
> programming language. They grab at GUIDs, IDENTITY, ROWID and other
> proprietary auto-numbering "features" in SQL products to imitate either
> a record number (sequential file system mindset) or OID (OO mindset)
> since they don't know anything else.
>
> They write code with cursors to mimic record-at-a-time file handling --
> it is easy do a global replace of READ() with FETCH. They write to temp
> tables to mimic scratch files in a series of procedural steps - it is
> hard to think of a single declarative statement to get the answer. They
> use dynamic SQL and let the user figure out how the system should work
> on the fly - they never had a software engineering course and don't
> know what coupling and cohesion are.
>
> Experienced database designers look for industry standard codes for
> their keys first. Try to tell the IRS you don't have anybody's SSN at
> [...]

Hello Joe:

I'd be an idiot to question anything above, but I will make a comment about SSN's. Here in Canada, a SIN. There are many situations where one needs to store information about people where one has no right to ask for and the person has no obligation to deliver, their SSN. Also, is not the SSN simply an artificial key, generated by the government? As such, how does it differ from the lovely primary key or 'identity' that Access is so generous to provide? In principle, rather than in scale.

Cheers.

JE Received on Fri Aug 19 2005 - 02:58:40 CEST

Original text of this message