Re: SQL Humor

From: Stu <stuart.ainsworth_at_gmail.com>
Date: 18 Aug 2005 15:57:29 -0700

Mikito Harakiri wrote:

> Humans are notoriously bad at storage management. Storage layout is
> something that has to be hidden and managed automatically. When did you
> specify memory parameters for your web browser program (Let see: 10M
> for fonts, 15M for web pages cache, 5M for cookies, or, wait a minute,
> maybe 2M for cookies would make my browser faster?)

Apples to oranges; I can live with the default settings of my web browser (with a few minor tweaks :)), but there's not several other people all trying to run off my web browser at the same time I am. This has nothing to do with design, and lots to do with end-user performance.

> I want a string datatype, and can't possibly predict (and don't really
> care) how long it would be. Is it so difficult to design a RDBMS engine
> that would allow me to declare a string of arbitrary length with some
> rudimentary intelligence as far as storage is concerned?

Not difficult at all; however, designing one that performs well, that's a different story. Received on Fri Aug 19 2005 - 00:57:29 CEST

Original text of this message