Re: SQL Humor

From: Mikito Harakiri <mikharakiri_nospaum_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 18 Aug 2005 15:02:56 -0700

Hugo Kornelis wrote:
> Many companies use a short mnemonic code for their customers. The use of
> a short mnemonic code for products is not uncommon either. Imagine a
> customers table with 10,000 customers, a products table with 5,000
> products and an orders table with a few million rows. Now would you
> prefer char(6) or varchar(6) for CustomerCode? And char(5) or varchar(5)
> for ProductCode?

But if lookup table cardinality goes up, then, the storage factor char(n) vs varchar(n) goes down! Perhaps, you can convince me that the effect of the two trailing bytes is not miniscule, as I previously thought, but it just can't be significant. Any benchmark demonstrating that the performance degradation is not in single percentage digits is welcome. Received on Fri Aug 19 2005 - 00:02:56 CEST

Original text of this message