Re: dirty data

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 02:28:38 GMT

mAsterdam wrote:
> Gene Wirchenko wrote:
>

>> mAsterdam wrote:

>>> [snip agreement]

>>> I see what you mean, but I am not sure you got my question right.
>>> I meant: what is this factor which is causing a lot of trouble?
>>> In more modern words: what is the anatomy of this anti-pattern?
>>> We might learn to more easily recognize it.
>>

>>      I think that the trouble comes from overloading terms.  "student"
>> already has a meaning.  What distinguishes the special meaning from
>> the more literal meaning?  If I do not know that a special meaning is
>> in use in a specific context, I can make a lot of mistakes.

> Yep. One trick is not (just) to ask wether
> someone is a student or not, but details about
> the students registration (wether they are really
> checked is an issue, depending on other, maybe later
> requirements - first make them checkable).

i may be stepping on nuances that i haven't noticed in this thread, but i think the above is getting close to the truth, at least the truth these days. so far, databases ARE naive and so are their "tests". for example, if a user thinks someone is a student and can "fill in" the values that the db predicates want for a student, then the someone is a student as far as the db is concerned, no matter what anyone else thinks.

pc Received on Fri Aug 12 2005 - 04:28:38 CEST

Original text of this message