Re: O'Reilly interview with Date

From: Gene Wirchenko <genew_at_ucantrade.com.NOTHERE>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 12:35:58 -0700

On 10 Aug 2005 10:11:49 -0700, "Marshall Spight" <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>Gene Wirchenko wrote:
>>
>> This reminds me of the problem some have confusing scope and
>> lifetime of variables.
>
>Interesting. How so?

>> "relevant" is a better term. This data is relevant and that data
>> is not relevant.
>
>That's not quite right, though. Saying some part of the schema is
>not relevant implies we know what it is in this context but we
>choose not to consider it. Whereas "semi-structured" means we
>*don't* know what it is in this context.

     No, it does not imply that we know about it. It says that we do not care about it. We might know about, or we might not, but it does not matter in the case at hand.

>Anyway, I think the *concept* as I've defined it is quite interesting.
>The specific choice of terms is not so important.

     Why invent yet another piece of terminology when an ordinary English word will serve?

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko Received on Wed Aug 10 2005 - 21:35:58 CEST

Original text of this message