Re: sql views for denomalizing

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 23:19:41 GMT

David Cressey wrote:

> Heh, heh... "now we can fire all the programmers!" It's a recurring theme,
> isn't it?

heh, heh, heh,... well with me it is, almost. fire most of them and see what happens. sort of like how countries that lose wars immediately try to cancel all national debt, which some thoughtful people think is a good idea even if you aren't the loser (even the USA did it after its Civil War).

> There was an article, a long while ago, entitled "the next 700 programing
> languages". It was about how people keep inventing "data languages" in
> order to get away from programming, and then turn these "data languages"
> into programming lanaguages.
>
> This business of turning data into information has been around for a long,
> long time. And, IMO, it'll be around for a long time to come.

too right imho, even if it hasn't been gotten right yet (following Date, I can see a few reasons why). no reason not to keep on trying. i always thought it was easier to try to understand 500 tables than 100,000 lines of code.

p Received on Sun Jul 31 2005 - 01:19:41 CEST

Original text of this message