Re: Nested sets in SQL - inventor?

From: David Cressey <david.cressey_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 21:03:36 GMT

"Mikito Harakiri" <mikharakiri_nospaum_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1122488079.859136.9130_at_o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> Appeo Allkam wrote:
> > http://www.dbpd.com/vault/9811/kamfn.shtml
>
> I don't quite understand the following passage in Kamfonas article
>
> <quote>
> You may ask: "Why don't we use a hierarchical keyword to achieve the
> same result?" For example, an IP address-like scheme enumerates the
> nodes of a tree as 1,1.1,1.2,1.3,1.1.1, and so on. The problem with
> this scheme is that you have to start all qualifications from the top.
> Otherwise, you'll have to scan the whole index or table. With the L and
> R enumeration however, you can anchor your search at any level, relate
> any node to any other one, and still employ matching index scans.
> </quote>
>
> Any interpretations?

It's not clear to me from your post whether you are interested in who invented the nested sets method.

I don't know, but I can tell you this: years before I saw Joe Celko's description of nested sets, I saw a magazine article entitled, "Taming the dreaded hierarchy" by, I think, John Baugh. In this article he outlined a method that's very similar to nested sets. Received on Sat Jul 30 2005 - 23:03:36 CEST

Original text of this message