Re: sql views for denomalizing

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 20:39:45 GMT

David Cressey wrote:
> I don't know jack about dataphor, but when I see the discussion, it always
> takes me back to Datatrieve, circa 1982.

me neither, i assume it has some support for ttm 'wrap/unwrap'.

> Interestingly Datatrieve could view data either in a way that I'll call
> hierarchical or in a way that I'll call "proto relational".
>
> And retrieving data using CROSS (a little like a join) and then turning
> and stuffing it into a hierarchical report was so-o-o-o-o easy that it was
> beneath the dignity of snobby "real programmers". I never realized that it
> was a problem until I tried to do it without Datatrieve.

maybe Extracto too, in the early 1970's. IIRC, both were marketed as ways for end-users to avoid needing programmers who were cheap at the time, but rare. this created a market for more expensive report writer consultants. heh, now programmers are expensive and rarer still.

p Received on Sat Jul 30 2005 - 22:39:45 CEST

Original text of this message