Re: Just one more anecdote

From: Marshall Spight <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 29 Jul 2005 16:50:05 -0700

Gene Wirchenko wrote:

> If the group is mainly SQL/RM people, then it is likely people
> working with it. Her comments would then be off-topic, and I would
> call her behaviour rudeness.

I wouldn't agree. The topic is "database theory", or more precisely data management theory. The fact that SQL and the RM currently dominate this field doesn't make alternative approaches offtopic. And critiquing an idea or a theory or even practice isn't rude.

Is she sometimes pointed in her critique? Sure; so what? Does she cross the line every once in a while? Sure, but everyone else here does that too. If our standard for acceptance was zero tolerance for any breach, there'd be no one here. Casting the first stone, and all.

I would propose that the "problem" most of us have with Dawn is that we disagree with her. Having someone hanging around all the time that one disagrees with can be infuriating. I certainly want everyone I meet to acknowledge my correctness at all times.

> She knows what she is doing and is deliberately goading. That is
> trolling.

Maybe if it's a lifestyle, or if it's done in the absence of a desire for substantive discussion. But the current situation doesn't fall into those categories.

Just my opinion.

Marshall Received on Sat Jul 30 2005 - 01:50:05 CEST

Original text of this message