Re: full text indexing

From: Stefan Rybacki <stefan.rybacki_at_gmx.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 19:38:19 +0200

Marshall Spight wrote:

> Not everything supported by a dbms is a dbms-theory topic.
> DBMSs support lots of math functions, but there's nothing
> specific to data management about arithmetic.

I know, but I guess indexing is more database specifc than the sum function ;) And since most search engines use database techniques like B*-Trees for fast word access I could be partly right here.

> I'd start here:
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=%22full+text+index%22
>
> Lots of references to chase down. Probably most of those
> references are about how to use one in an existing system,
> but you'll find some implementation papers in there as
> well. I see one with Garcia-Molina as an author on the
> first page; maybe start there. Also you could add
> "implementation" to your search string and see if that
> helps.

I already did and as you said, most ,I guess about 99%, is about how to use the full text index in a dbms like mysql, sql server whatever.

> In general, when asking this kind of question, you want
> to start out by describing what aspects of your web
> search haven't been as useful as you had hoped, and
> be specific about what else you'd like to see. It also
> helps to pick an appropriate newsgroup.

Its just curiosity, I like to know how it works in detail. I guess I know the basics how full text indexing works but like to know more about.