Re: When does one put data into a separate table?

From: Paul <paul_at_see.my.sig.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 17:57:13 +0100

"David Cressey" <david.cressey_at_earthlink.net> wrote:

>Let me start with Language2 and Language3.
>
>What is the meaning of these two columns? In particular, do they mean the
>same thing? If one person has the code for "Spanish" in Language2, and the
>code for "French" in Language3, while another person has the same two codes,
>permuted, does that carry the same message?
>
>If the answer is "yes" then it's already time to normalize the design, by
>combining those two columns into one column, and putting that new column in
>a separate table.
>
>If the answer is "no" then I'd like to know what the difference in meaning
>of Language2 and Language3 is, given that they refer to the same master set.
>
>More details later, if desired.

Good explanation which I had already understood, but this has really crystallised it in my mind. I think Marshall put it succinctly, the Golden Number is 1!!!

p.s. did you look at Firebird?

Paul...

--

plinehan __at__ yahoo __dot__ __com__

XP Pro, SP 2,

Oracle, 9.2.0.1.0 (Enterprise Ed.)
Interbase 6.0.1.0;

When asking database related questions, please give other posters
some clues, like operating system, version of db being used and DDL.
The exact text and/or number of error messages is useful (!= "it didn't work!").
Thanks.

Furthermore, as a courtesy to those who spend
time analysing and attempting to help, please
do not top post.