Re: Just one more anecdote

From: dawn <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com>
Date: 27 Jul 2005 07:25:00 -0700

David Cressey wrote:
> "dawn" <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> > One reason why I'll stick to my partial explanation (definitely not the
> > whole of it) is that I've been involved in many migrations/conversions
> > over the past quarter of a century starting with conversions from card
> > systems to oltp and including conversions from one source code language
> > to another and one OS to another. None has been so huge and difficult
> > as the move to a SQL-DBMS environment from a very similar environment
> > to what this vendor had. I can feel this one in my bones, brother.
>
> One of the things I've done over the last quarter century is implement
> SQL-DBMS based applications that replaced prerelational precursors. I have
> not exprienced the level of difficulty you express. I think your exprience
> has led you to a flawed conclusion.
>
> I feel it in my bones, sister.

and so we have a dialog, eh? Intuition based on experience is something I listen to, but definitely don't trust completely, even when it is my own. I sure would like some better emperical data on this and have tried to figure out what type of study or experiment would help. If you have ideas, let me know.

I will say that having worked for years with IMS as a developer, not a DBA, I would not expect the same level of difficultly migrating a mid-size app to a SQL Server environment, for example, but I never did it. You still have to explode lists and such, but the way schema is used is similar. Have you worked with either PICK (e.g. www.revelation.com) or MUMPS (e.g. Cache' from www.intersystems.com) or anything else that might be similar to the system that was being replaced by this .NET SQL Server implementation?

cheers! --dawn Received on Wed Jul 27 2005 - 16:25:00 CEST

Original text of this message