Re: Property sheet, ad hoc, property page, flexible data

From: David Cressey <david.cressey_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 14:39:50 GMT

"Marshall Spight" <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1122300653.254337.85180_at_g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> David Cressey wrote:
> > "Marshall Spight" <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Second, you confuse the role of "data architect" with the role of
> > "programmer". There's nothing to say that one person cannot do both
roles,
> > and do each of them well. But they aren't the same role.
>
> Fair enough.
>

> > And the vast
> > majority of programmers I've come in contact with have no knowledge of
what
> > the data "really means". Their level of interpretation of the data is
> > strictly what's necessary in order to determine whether their programs
are
> > delivering correct results. That's it.
>
> Hmmm. Could you clarify the difference? The two things you describe
> here seem to me to be the same thing.
>

> > That's not a deep enough understanding of the data and its purpose to
make
> > data sharing feasible and cost effective among a wide and diverse user
> > community.
>
> How so?
>

> > A disturbing trend is this: there are an increasing number of database
> > designers that are not fit to be data architects.
>
> I'll buy that!
>

> Marshall

I'm going to have to think long and hard about your questions. I'm hoping others will jump in.

All I can say off the top of my head is that data can have value (or worth, if you prefer) that is apart from its correctness.

There is some data in databases that is verifiably correct, but means nothing of much value. Received on Tue Jul 26 2005 - 16:39:50 CEST

Original text of this message