Re: DBKEY Datatype

From: David Cressey <david.cressey_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 12:48:48 GMT

"Paul" <paul_at_see.my.sig.com> wrote in message news:826ae1lroccstar2sdabfkcfn00i98v1uh_at_4ax.com...

> "David Cressey" <david.cressey_at_earthlink.net> wrote:
>

> >BTW, the SW engineering that went into Rdb, and earlier into VAX DBMS (a
> >CODASYL style database) was truly superb. Some of the cleanest
> >implementation ever. DEC Rdb still survives as "Oracle Rdb".
>

> It also survives as Interbase and Firebird. Jim Starkey the original
> designer/coder of Dec Rdb later went on to found Groton database
> systems (hence the .gdb suffixes on Interbase database files), bought
> by Asford-Tate bought by Borland.
>

> He is now back in the frame and active on the Firebird project and
> lists.
>

> Paul...

I've talked to Jim Starkey, and I don't think it's quite right to call him "the original designer/coder of DEC Rdb".

Jim built Rdb/ELN, a product that is quite different, internally, from Rdb/VMS. The fact that both Rdb/ELN and Rdb/VMS conformed to the same DSRI was undoubtedly due, in part, to Starkey's inputs. I agree that the influence of Rdb in Interbase is evident.

I don't know anything at all about Firebird. Any pointers? Received on Tue Jul 26 2005 - 14:48:48 CEST

Original text of this message