Re: When does one put data into a separate table?

From: Paul <paul_at_see.my.sig.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 14:50:20 +0100

"Tony D" <tonyisyourpal_at_netscape.net> wrote:

>"There is a member of staff identified by Personnel_ID who has a
>First_Name and a Last_Name and who lives at address and who has
>landline number tel and has a mobile number mobile. Additionally the
>member of staff can speak some number of Languages."

>That "Additionally..." would go to another table.

Got it. Basically, like Marshall said, if it's more than one, it goes into a different table.

>The appearance of "or" as a conjunction between column names is a
>*very* bad sign - that means you really are talking about two different
>things.

>Interestingly, although you're concerned about the number of Language
>items to have, you're not asking about your addresses ... ;)

Why address_es_? When one works for a company, normally there is only one address to which any mail might be sent, &. I know that one can have a holiday home, and maybe a pad in Paris, but these are not *_official_* residences with respect to the company.

Paul...

--

plinehan __at__ yahoo __dot__ __com__

XP Pro, SP 2,

Oracle, 9.2.0.1.0 (Enterprise Ed.)
Interbase 6.0.1.0;

When asking database related questions, please give other posters
some clues, like operating system, version of db being used and DDL.
The exact text and/or number of error messages is useful (!= "it didn't work!").
Thanks.

Furthermore, as a courtesy to those who spend
time analysing and attempting to help, please
do not top post.