Re: When does one put data into a separate table?

From: Marshall Spight <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 24 Jul 2005 14:28:28 -0700

Paul wrote:
> This is a sort of vague question.

Not at all.

> I'm wondering when people would both in theory and/or in practice
> start to move an attribute like this off into another table? Is there
> a "Golden Number" above which it automatically gets put into another
> table, or how do IT professionals decide on such things?

There *is* a Golden Number, derived from theory, above which we should move these off into a separate table. That number is 1.

I cannot speak for IT professionals as a group, but it's what I do, and I know it's what a number of other people do as well. You might want to Google for the phrase "repeating groups"; lots of good reading out there.

Marshall Received on Sun Jul 24 2005 - 23:28:28 CEST

Original text of this message