Re: Property sheet, ad hoc, property page, flexible data

From: mAsterdam <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 01:11:01 +0200

AC wrote:
> ...I want to create "base" tables with fields that are
> intrinsic to the application.
> I also want to allow the customers using the application to be able to
> create their own fields so that they can easily customize the application.
> These new fields would either be added to the base table or to a separate
> table with a 1:1 relationship to the base table. The client application
> will render the controls based on the new fields in a grid to allow a
> flexible amount of fields to be added by customers. ...

If this group would have a FAQ, this Q would be in it. For now you'll have to do with googling the archives.

The short answer is: don't go that way, you'll get the worst of both worlds.

I won't go into this any deeper unless somebody shows a real start (and commitment to maintain it for say the first year) for a cdt FAQ (or unless you showed you googled and come up with some new aspects :-)

It's not a bad question, but I don't like going over the same arguments every time it pops up. Received on Wed Jul 20 2005 - 01:11:01 CEST

Original text of this message