Re: cdt glossary - TABLE

From: dawn <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com>
Date: 18 Jul 2005 05:33:52 -0700

mAsterdam wrote:
> dawn wrote:
> > David Cressey wrote:

> >>The above is correct, in my opinion.
> >
> > I guess it depends on what profession we are in. If we are in a
> > professional narrowly defined as relational database theory, then I'm
> > OK with definitions of this nature. If we want to play in the
> > profession of software development, then it would be more helpful if we
> > qualify our terms when using them more specifically like this.

> This is about the interests of this group: I think 'software
> development' (albeit with a strong data-flavour) is very much
> on topic.
>

> > I would
> > say that this definition is about tables defined to rdbms tools or
> > tables related to relational databases. Instead, this would be much
> > better definition for "SQL Table" or "Relational Table", I would think.
>

> What do you propose? The current heading,
> does a good job of narrowing the frame of reference down to SQL/DBMS,
> no? (A generic/broad 'TABLE' entry is welcome and would stress this
> narrowing down).

I would propose that when I proofread a response (too rare for me), I don't forget what I'm responding to and remove the relevant point. Oops -- I deleted what I had planned to keep and kept what I intended to delete. Yes, the current heading does narrow it down. I initially wrote that this should be a second definition under the term "table" with the first being a broader def for table.

> "SQL Table" would suggest an ANSI definition (so 'header' and 'body' are
> out), "Relational Table" - I don't think many people
> are of the opinion that such a beats exists - here is a nice challenge:
> describe "Relational Table" in such a way that most people here would agree.

It so happens that I have such a definition, but it is quite long and (the margin of) this posting is too small to include it ;-)

> > The software development industry certainly uses the term table to
> > refer to a number of representations of data that do not align with the
> > above definition. There are some characteristics of all (at least
> > most) uses of the term, however. I would think we would want the term
> > "table" to be defined to include implementations of tables in a variety
> > of languages and tools to avoid miscommunication.
> >
> > Off the top of my head (rather than researching it right now), most
> > uses of the word table would have the reader visualizing a
> > two-dimensional matrix of values. Some would include a header for such
> > values while others would have a separate object that is a table
> > header.
>
> Again, a broader 'TABLE' entry is welcome.

I'll give that a first pass. I'm not defining a Row or Column here, but using those terms as English words that should be easy to understand within this context.

Table The rectangular representation of a two-dimensional matrix m where an element m[i,j] is the value in row i and column j of the table. This element is also know as the value of a "cell" of the table.

> >>In particular, the word "collection" is, in this context, more useful than
> >>either "list" or "array".
> >>
> >>The question of "ordered" goes beyond the definition, IMO, even though
> >>it's an interesting one.
> >
> > Agreed. Cheers! --dawn

> That's two against being clearer on the specifics
> of the involved collections in this glossary entry.

Apologies. --dawn