Re: transitive closure

From: John <no_at_email>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 12:40:24 +0100

Marshall Spight wrote:
> We talk about the missing information/nulls/unknown values
> problem all the time here. We talk about it and talk about it.
> But we never talk about the transitive closure issue. Why is
> that? Is it a solved issue for many of us?
>
> The transitive closure issue seems like a bigger issue than
> the missing values issue. What are the possible solutions?
> What's good and bad about them?
>
> What about TTM's proposed TCLOSE?
>
> What about a Prolog-like solution?
>
> What about recursive queries?
>
> Comments/Comparisons/Complaints? Experiences?
>

> Marshall

I like writing procedural code for the computation of transitive closure and for similar tasks like tree traversal. I would much rather store clean and simple information about tree structure (ie a transitive reduction) than mess around pre-computing the information and worrying about keeping it correct and current.

"Caching is for the middle tier!".

John Received on Mon Jul 18 2005 - 13:40:24 CEST

Original text of this message