Re: Implementation of boolean types.

From: Drago Ganic <drago.ganic_at_in2.hr>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 17:33:58 +0200

Marshall,
Symbolic programming is a good solution for null values. See these trivial evaluations:
y = 1+x --> 1+x
y - x --> 1

z = (1,1,x) --> 2 + x
z - x -->2

False and x --> False

True or y --> True
a = not b --> not b
c = not a --> b

Remember elementary algebra: We learned how to calculate with unknowns in elementary school :-)) But CS forgot to build it in computing. I strongly believe CAS [Computer Algebra Systems] are needed for solving the null problem.

The practical problem is that expressions with "unknown variables" (symbols) tend to get really big
(e.g. z + y --> (2 + x) + (1+x) -->3 + 2x).

Greeting from Craotia,
Drago Ganic