Re: A good argument for XML

From: Lauri <lauri.pietarinen_at_a>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 19:05:07 GMT

> My contention is that even when a simple master-detail report could be
> done from tabular or hierarchical input. That it might be better to
> design the data transformation on the query rather than in the report
> formation. There are gray areas here. I would like to hear from
> somebody that might have tried it and see how did his/her experience
> turned out. And I will admit until I test this idea I am not completely
> sure how it will turn out. I am just frustated with the continuos
> strugle between sparse code on the report writer and sql functions or
> views. And the bottle neck looks like it is the tabular output.

There was a related discussion in a previous thread about how nested relations could help. Of course the current DBMS'es don't support such constructs, so this is just "theory".

see: http://tinyurl.com/clk43

regards,
Lauri Pietarinen Received on Fri Jul 15 2005 - 21:05:07 CEST

Original text of this message