Re: A good argument for XML

From: Mikito Harakiri <mikharakiri_nospaum_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 14 Jul 2005 09:33:37 -0700

arthernan_at_hotmail.com wrote:
http://www.datadirect.com/developer/xquery/topics/sqlxml-xquery-nativexml/index.ssp

> This is an attempt to justify in detail parts of what I have been
> "argumenting" in general. Here is a code example form the link
> above. I took some aliasing off that I thought would be superficial for
> the discussion:
>
> select CustId,
> xmlelement(name "Customer",
> xmlattributes(CustId),
> xmlforest(c.Name, City),
> xmlelement(name projects,
> (select xmlagg(xmlelement(name project,
> xmlattributes(ProjId),
> xmlforest(p.name)))
> from Projects p
> where p.CustId=c.CustId))) as "customer-projects"
> from Customers c

This is supposedly simpler than

select c.*, p.*
from Projects p, Customers p
where p.CustId=c.CustId

right? BTW, where is hierarchy that XML nuts are so much talking about?

Quote from the article:
"To many intelligent and articulate XML programmers, "XML is just Unicode with pointy brackets" is almost a statement of faith."

What a misnomer. "intelligent XML programmer" Received on Thu Jul 14 2005 - 18:33:37 CEST

Original text of this message