Re: Storing units in the database

From: Mikito Harakiri <mikharakiri_nospaum_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 12 Jul 2005 14:00:10 -0700

Misha Dorman wrote:
> Marshall Spight wrote:
> > I believe that C++, for example, has everything you need to
> > be able to do this sort of thing in the type system.
>
> See e.g.
> http://www.awprofessional.com/articles/article.asp?p=375705&seqNum=1,
> which describes a framework for enforcing dimensional correctness;
> extension to handle automatic units declaration and conversion is not
> too hard (the hardest part is probably that a naive implementation will
> have lots of rounding error -- probably want to implement it using
> rationals rather than floating point).

Now the question to ask is do those templates, metafunctions and lambdas really simpler than, say

20 * kg * 30 * m / c^2

To quote somebody (commented my own work!-): "Computer buffs really excel at complicating simple things". Received on Tue Jul 12 2005 - 23:00:10 CEST

Original text of this message