From: VC <>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 17:29:03 -0400

"Jan Hidders" <> wrote in message news:2Zfze.139626$

> vc wrote:

>> Jan Hidders wrote:
>>>We can, and we don't.
>> <quote>
>> A conceptual object is an object that is part of the universe of
>> discourse that is under consideration.
>> -- Jan Hidders
>> </quote>
>> How do you reconcile the quote above with "we can, and we don't" ?
> Not wearing our thinking-cap today, are we? :-) We *can* talk about just
> "objects in the U.o.D" and *don't* need this "conceptual object" thingy.

Apparently, my first attempt to reply failed. I apologize for possible double posting.

Let's try another approach. *When* does one need "conceptual objects" and "semantic domains" as opposed to just objects and domains ? On what specific occasions ? I hope you agree, since you've excised this part of my message, that U.o.E vs. U.o.D contradistinction does not make much sense. If you do, the may question stands: what is a "conceptual object" ? You may be able to deal, in one go, with the "semantic domain" as well.

> -- Jan Hidders Received on Thu Jul 07 2005 - 23:29:03 CEST

Original text of this message