Migrating data from a non normalized source like excel to a well designed Database

From: Hi5 <fkbox-programming_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 6 Jul 2005 02:12:21 -0700

Hi,
I am working for a client who has a large excel sheet about 100 columns X 20,000 lines they want to migrate all data from this database to a well normalized database that I designed for them recently.They want everything tobe in Microsoft Officewhich makes life for me harder. In order to do that I have done the steps as follows:
1- backed up the original DB
2- Create a new, separate .mdb
3- Link to the target database tables
4- Create local copies of those tables
5- Turn off all validation (required, zero length string ...) and
relationships
6- Link to or import (depends on circumstances) the data in the source.

THe question is as follows:

Now I need a way to delete repeated records and at the same time keep the relation ships as they were before deleteing the repeated records. Is there any good procedure to do this?
2-if you know the solution has been addressed in any other resource Could you lease help me by letting me know of the source?(URL,Name of book etc..)

Many Thanks

Kindest regards Received on Wed Jul 06 2005 - 11:12:21 CEST

Original text of this message