From: Jan Hidders <jan.hidders_at_REMOVETHIS.pandora.be>
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 20:35:14 GMT

VC wrote:
> "Jan Hidders" <jan.hidders_at_REMOVETHIS.pandora.be> wrote in message
>

>>VC wrote:
>>
>>>"Jan Hidders" <jan.hidders_at_REMOVETHIS.pandora.be> wrote in message

>>>Please clarify whether tour are talking about the RM views and queries or
>>>about something else.
>>
>>All of them, really. FDM-like models, OODB data models, and also the RM.

> OK, we want specifically an algebra (RA) primarily for two practical
> reasons.
>
> (A) It's trivial to compose relational algebra operators (create nested
> queries) thanks to the closure property. One can create arbitrarily complex
> queries by using several simple and easily understood relational operators
> (join, projection, etc). I imagine similar freedom is not available to the
> user even with modern network/graph query languages (whatever those might
> be).

Well, it is available, most of those languages are orthogonal.

> (B) The same freedom to re-arrange RA operators is extremely useful for
> query optimization (contrary to your opinion). Internally, the query
> processor decomposes the original query into a set of RA operators and then
> tries to rewrite the query so that its execution were most effective in
> terms of resorces (CPU, IO, etc). In other words, the query processor
> creates an efficient execution plan. I believe this kind of flexibility is
> not possible with alternative data models ue to lack of closure.

Your belief is wrong. Every rearrangement can also be expressed in a calculus.

> I do not know what a network view might be, but, since a relational view is
> just a stored query, the same argument as with (A) applies.

Exactly, you all you need is query language. Whether that is a calculus or an algebra is irrelevant.

>>>Well, apparently,  I am not as smart as most of your students are.
>>>Please provide a definition of "conceptual object type".
>>
>>A unary predicate.

> If so, what would it mean to say that object O is of conceptual type T
> given that T is a unary predicate ?

T(O) holds.

>>>Cannot  we just use the notion of data type (aka domain) instead ?
>>
>>We can, with the additional restriction that the elements of the domains
>>must have some kind of lexical representation.

> Please define "lexical representation".

A finite string over some finite alphabet.

  • Jan Hidders