Re: Designing a language database - issues?

From: Paul <>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 22:49:17 +0100

"Neo" <> wrote:

>> I want to write a dictionary...
>> It will be a bit more complicated than just a simple word list
>> I want to put in grammar and usage also.

>Could you give a small example to further illustrate your project?

Click on a verb root, it shows the various conjugations (at least for regular verbs and most of the important irregular ones). With different tenses.

If a word has different meanings (bow in English with three - bow down before somebody, use a bow and arrow to hunt rabbits, the bow-wave of a ship) - indicate these when the person types in the word. (Just thought of the child's use of "bow-wow" for a dog.

Usage - a direct translation of a word is all very well, but a word in English could have a very different usage in Hungarian, its use in expressions and sayings for example.

Trying to explain points of grammar, rather than just a simple word-for-word correspondance.

That sort of thing. Hungarian doesn't have prepositions, it uses suffixes - i.e. "with a shovel" can't be translated directely. You take the root noun shovel and add a "with" or "instrumental" suffix. Literally, they say, "Shovel-with, I dug a hole", whereas in English, you would say "With a shovel, I dug a hole".

I know much design work depends on what language you are working from and too, but I was just wondering if any work had been done on this at all by any scholars/linguists - whatever?

TIA. Paul...

plinehan __at__ yahoo __dot__ __com__

XP Pro, SP 2,

Oracle, (Enterprise Ed.)

When asking database related questions, please give other posters
some clues, like operating system, version of db being used and DDL.
The exact text and/or number of error messages is useful (!= "it didn't work!").
Furthermore, As a courtesy to those who spend
time analysing and attempting to help, please
do not top post.