Re: What to call this operator?

From: Jon Heggland <heggland_at_idi.ntnu.no>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 09:12:17 +0200

In article <ESjwe.1820496$Xk.1729912_at_pd7tw3no>, toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac says...
> to put it another way, if the result of <or> happens to be <a,b> i can
> interpret the result as:
>
> a is true and b is true
> or (in the more common sense, not the D&D <or>)
> a is true and b is false
> or
> a is false and b is true
>
> but not "a is false and b is false".

Or, to put it more simply, "a is true or b is true". Whereas the result of an <and> operation is interpreted as "a is true and b is true".

> still, i can't get it through my head why it is important to allow
> infinite domains. granted that results for finite domains could still
> be very large, but othertimes they could be very small!

In theory, domains can be infinite, so the theory has to take that into account. In an implementation, domains are always finite, of course--- though they are most likely large enough that it is impractical to materialise the results of such <or> invocations (or <not>s, of course). I don't really understand your objection, though.

--
Jon