Re: the distinction between data and intelligence

From: mountain man <hobbit_at_southern_seaweed.com.op>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 07:54:45 GMT

"Kenneth Downs" <knode.wants.this_at_see.sigblock> wrote in message news:38u3p2-clp.ln1_at_pluto.downsfam.net...
> mountain man wrote:
>
>> "Kenneth Downs" <knode.wants.this_at_see.sigblock> wrote in message

>>> Nope.
>>

>> This information can sometimes be handy in order
>> to map and quantify the demographics of use of the
>> elements of the suite.
>>

> Not in my case. To map use we look at change logs on tables and columns.
> Since the code is tied directly to the definitions of columns and table,
> measuring one gives a measure of the other.

Yes, such logs are handy for many things. I have seen situations however where uncontrolled development had occurred and there were many different program objects being used for update and enquiry. In this instance, a log on the code useage helped rationalise the code, since the data logs did not contain an identity for the code used.

Have you ever put in place a rowcounter history table for the database, containing table name, table row count and datetimestamp as at some routine time each day? See link below for surther info.

--
Pete Brown
IT Managers & Engineers