Re: the distinction between data and intelligence

From: Kenneth Downs <knode.wants.this_at_see.sigblock>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 07:55:31 -0400

mountain man wrote:

> "Kenneth Downs" <knode.wants.this_at_see.sigblock> wrote in message

>> mountain man wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for the dialogue Ken ...
>>>
>>> "Kenneth Downs" <knode.wants.this_at_see.sigblock> wrote:
>>>
>>> My dispute is with the term "intelligence".  I just can't get past that.
>>> Isn't it closer to the fundamentals to say they have established
>>> procedures
>>> around technology assets, those assets being hardware, software, and
>>> data?

> ...[snip]...
>

> Part One of Two: semantics
> ===================

<snip>

> Part Two of Two: computers
> ===================
>

>>> E1: some operating system
>>> E2: some (R)DBMS (and data).
>>> E3: some application (code)

>>> Selection of some E1 is not regarded as "high-level" intelligence
>>> but rather as a service for E2 and E3.
>>
>> Architecturally, yes.  It is infrastructure.

> Agreed.

<snip>

> ...[trim]...
>

>> Here is a challenge, Pete.  Force yourself not to use the word
>> "intelligent"
>> and then describe the collection of data, code and hardware.  What terms
>> come to mind?  Before creating an abstract holistic description of them,
>> define them individually and precisely, then see what description
>> emerges.

> Organisation, owner, management, workgroups (including IT), users,
> data, code and hardware.

Now I would say that as far as computers go there is only data, code, and hardware.

If we expand our view to include management, workgroups and so forth then we need to bring in products, services, assets, liabilities. The buzzwords at this point drift towards "synergistic information paradigms" but really it all comes down to rapid delivery of information, or, if you will, easily accessible records.

<snip>

--
Kenneth Downs
Secure Data Software, Inc.