From: VC <boston103_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 21:48:42 -0400

Hi,

"Jan Hidders" <jan.hidders_at_REMOVETHIS.pandora.be> wrote in message news:waFse.123625$lR6.7006345_at_phobos.telenet-ops.be...
> Alexandr Savinov wrote:

[...]
> After looking a bit longer at your model I think FDM might be especially
> relevant,

Are you talking about the FDM (Shipman) as reperesented by the Daplex language ? If so, my recollection is that the FDM is not much different from the network/OODB approach in which case the argument can be reduced to "the network model/OODB contra the RM". I am sure you know that Daplex, btw, is a navigational language, not a declarative one.

>and probably even more so in it's modern incarnation that is the data model
>for Description Logics.

I am not sure how the old FDM is related to the Description Logic, the latter being a function free subset of FOL with at most three variable names (that is if our vocabularies coincide).