Re: Newbie question

From: Roy Hann <specially_at_processed.almost.meat>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 17:13:26 +0100

"Jon Heggland" <heggland_at_idi.ntnu.no> wrote in message news:MPG.1d1cf6cbdcbbb4249896a5_at_news.ntnu.no...
> In article <6oqdnYJ2lsOhSC_fRVnygw_at_pipex.net>,
> specially_at_processed.almost.meat says...
> > A primary key won't overflow, because it comes from the real world, not
some
> > bogus counter that makes things trivially unique by fiat.
>
> That is nonsense. Primary key != natural key.

So a bogus counter that makes things trivially distinct is an acceptable key? Explain. I am keen to understand. Be sure to explain what I would be identifying (not distinguishing) with such a thing. Also explain why I wouldn't then just prefer a pointer instead.

Roy Received on Fri Jun 17 2005 - 18:13:26 CEST

Original text of this message