Re: Does Codd's view of a relational database differ from that of Date & Darwin? [M.Gittens]

From: Jan Hidders <jan.hidders_at_REMOVETHIS.pandora.be>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 22:42:31 GMT

Alfredo Novoa wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 03:16:34 GMT, "David Cressey"
> <david.cressey_at_earthlink.net> wrote:
>

>>This makes a lot of sense to me.  But then, I consider most of "computer
>>science" to be more aptly called "computer engineering".

> Science is an overloaded word, but as Dijkstra said, to call "computer
> science" to informatics is like to call "telescope science" to
> astronomy.

Indeed. But it was not the word "science" he had problems with, but the word "computer". For him this domain was about "computing", not about "computers". I've even witnessed rather fierce debates at a university about whether it should be "dept. of mathematics & computer science" or "dept. of mathematics & computing science".