Re: MultiValue Databases

From: Lee Fesperman <firstsql_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 20:11:18 GMT

Neo wrote:

> I would agree that relational algrebra is defined in terms of a few
> simple operations (select, project, join, union, intersection,
> complement, product, and division, etc) and has a good theoretical
> basis.
>
> Now suppose one wanted to store "John likes Mary". Below I add this
> data in xrdb and query for the relationship between John and Mary; and
> also between John and 111-1111. Starting with the provided RM
> schema/data, how can one use the relational operations to store and
> query the same? (If new schema is needed, please suggest one)

This should serve as a caution to everyone. Don't get into a code posting battle with Neo, because he will continually pester you with minor little changes and challenges ... all for the purpose of showing off his thing (otherwise known as blatant marketing). He has already demonstrated with Hugo that he has no integrity and will cheat to gain advantage. Not to mention his propensity to distort accepted database concepts to his own ends (e.g., redundancy).

Neo, your challenge is respond to substantive issues such as those I raised in this thread about MultiValue attributes ...which your thing supports.

--
Lee Fesperman, FFE Software, Inc. (http://www.firstsql.com)
* The Ultimate DBMS is here!