Re: Poll: What percentage advantage are RDBMS vendors taking of the RM?

From: mountain man <hobbit_at_southern_seaweed.com.op>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 13:48:54 GMT

"Alan" <not.me_at_uhuh.rcn.com> wrote in message news:7Iepe.11105$ld3.6729_at_trnddc04...
> What you have asked is akin to, "How big is your database?" It is not a
> valid question in that it does not indicate what parameters you expect to
> be
> used. For example, do you mean a percent of "expected" features? Are they
> weighted by importance? Important to whom? For what purpose (E.g., OLTP,
> OLAP?)
What I am trying to ask is "How *relational* are DB2, Oracle and SQL Server according to the principles of the relational model?

People assert that these SQL-DBMS are "the best we have at the moment" and that they are not ("Fully") relational. I want to understand just HOW MUCH they are not fully relational, as a ball-park rough-as-guts estimate.

Is it 10% or is it 90%. ?

> Why would anyone here be able to give a more valid answer than the
> thousands of practitioners alsewhere on the net? Isn't it best answered
> through careful unbiased research of the subject?

IMO this question is best answered by those who have a good understanding of the relational model ONLY ! Hence the Q here.

>As asked, it borders on
> being a silly question.

Well, hopefully I have restated the question in less border-line terms. Thanks for the prompt. Does this make more sense?