Re: Does Codd's view of a relational database differ from that ofDate& Darwin? [M.Gittens]

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 17:22:17 GMT

Paul wrote:

> I think it's a big issue because there doesn't seems to be much
> consensus on it, even amongst database theory bigwigs. Maybe there is
> some theoretical significance to it, but maybe it's just a subjective
> software engineering thing that doesn't really have a right or wrong answer.
>
> I think it will always be a standard database flamewar topic.
>
> Paul.

one implication of Alfredo's comment, "Nulls undermine the conceptual integrity of the Relational Model which is based in predicate logic" seems pretty clear. Rather than persist with 'subjective' arguments, null proponents should try to implant their notion in predicate logic before they implement it in dbms's, let alone applications! Being able to make objective general implications seems a valuable result of the relational theory / model.

p Received on Mon Jun 06 2005 - 19:22:17 CEST

Original text of this message