Re: Database schema for univesal usage

From: Jan Hidders <jan.hidders_at_REMOVETHIS.pandora.be>
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2005 09:02:06 GMT

lauri.pietarinen_at_atbusiness.com wrote:

> Jan Hidders wrote:
>

>>lauri.pietarinen_at_atbusiness.com wrote:
>>
>>>I actually agree with your viewpoint and I personally tend to design
>>>databases that are tightly fit.
>>
>>Recently I came into contact with a colleague of my university who
>>actually does research on the differences between more and less-generic
>>data models. One of his experiments was designed to test the hypothesis
>>that more generic data models would be easier to maintain. To be more
>>specific, he looked at the case where the data model has to be extended
>>because of new requirements. He found that for more generic data models
>>this sometimes actually becomes harder, i.e., it took more time for the
>>designer to understand the old model and come up with the new design,
>>and they made more mistakes. That is a cost that is often overlooked.
>
> Very interesting.  Could you give the name of your colleague so that I
> can find it when it comes available?

His name is Jan Verelst, from the university of Antwerp. One reference I found (but not on-line AFAIK):

Jan Verelst: The Influence of the Level of Abstraction on the Evolvability of Conceptual Models of Information Systems. ISESE 2004: 17-26

If you mail him I'm sure he will send you a copy.

  • Jan Hidders