Re: theory and practice: ying and yang

From: erk <eric.kaun_at_gmail.com>
Date: 2 Jun 2005 08:08:43 -0700

Alexandr Savinov wrote:
> By the way, I also think that real numbers is non-sense. I strongly
> believe that the world is finite and discrete.

Why do you believe that? Is there a rational basis for it?

And why do you leap from "real numbers" to "the world"? "Real" has no bearing on reality - real numbers are useful intellectual inventions, as are integers. Unless I'm missing some relevant theory - this is outside my realm.

Even if the world is, in some sense, finite and discrete, that has no bearing on the value of theories addressing reality "statistically" (quantum theory, for example, describes the behavior of communities of individually ineffable phenomena). Light being seen as waves and particles, etc.

Even if it ain't continuous, it's sure easier to handle when you treat it that way.

> For any naïve
> (classical) thinker real numbers is something really existing but if we
> look at the problems deeper we will see that they are not needed.

Do you have any support for this somewhat startling revelation?

> The
> same situation with the concept of infinity. It was introduced in order
> to substitute the term "I do not know what is there" just like real
> numbers reflect the fact that we do not know what is between two
> existing numbers.

There are many types (cardinalities?) of infinity, each an answer to a different question from number theory. But your use of the word "between" is somewhat disturbing...

  • erk