Re: Database schema for univesal usage

From: Kenneth Downs <knode.wants.this_at_see.sigblock>
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 14:08:26 -0400

David Cressey wrote:

>> But anyway, the structure documentation issue sounds like an echo of
>> ever-mournful database-code coupling lament. It drives me ever more to
>> believe that an authoritative and _functional_ specification must exist
>> outside both the database and the code that governs both. It must be
>> functional, that is, integral to the workings of the system and offering
>> benefits to use, otherwise maintaining it would be a chore and so it
>> would never happen.
>>

> Sounds a little like the Dec Data Dictionary to me,  but maybe I'm missing
> part of your point.

What I'm trying to nail down is whether the Dec Data Dictionary was functional or documentational. Put another way, if you failed to maintain the Dec DD, could you still grow the app?

>> FOOTNOTE:
>>
>> [1] There is a great Star Trek episode where this is illustrated, Scotty
> has

>> been hypnotized so that his worst fears are governing him, and it causes
>> him to be unable to steer the ship, instead of knowing what to do, he
>> says to Kirk, with this great intense Scotty look, "Captain Kirk, these
>> are
>> sensitive instruments! If you upset their delicate balance, we'll all be
>> lost, forever lost!"
>

> Isn't this the episode where Jack the Ripper invades the ship,  and feasts
> on fear?

Nope, it's the one where the kids have been seduced by the "Angel" that tells them they can get whatever they want by learning to unleash the "inner monster" or somesuch that grownups have that kids don't.

--
Kenneth Downs
Secure Data Software, Inc.