Re: Data Constraints AND Application Constraints

From: Kenneth Downs <knode.wants.this_at_see.sigblock>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 21:34:40 -0500

FrankHamersley wrote:

> Of course a perl freak would look at the perhaps limited range of
> techniques I use and lament that this or that sequence of operations
> could be done in a single statement...but it works, I understand it and
> can fix its bugs.
>
> I have bizzare dreams that one day I might port it to APL! But that's
> only to secure the code from prying eyes ;-).

Not so bizarre. Of every language we can say, "This too shall pass." The asset is the text specification files, the builder will be reimplemented over and over.

Which leads into a completely separate discussion of why we want to keep it really really small.

<snip>

>> Why do you allow externally crafted stored proc code?

> ATM I prototype new functions in clear and then when functioning look at
> ways to shape them to suit the code generator. Going forward I expect
> there may be sprocs that are

Hmmm, I was fishing for the possible involvement of developers adding sprocs to the system as part of what is delivered to the customer. Very bad, because now your builder becomes a version control system. Glad to hear you are all-or-nothing on this.

>> What are you doing for the GUI?

> Base will be PHP, advanced will be Java. The panel layouts will be
> drawn from the database - totally soft.

My own is pure PHP. Why are you doing Java? What need is it filling?

--
Kenneth Downs
Secure Data Software, Inc.