Re: Data Constraints Vs Application Constraints

From: FrankHamersley <FrankHamersleyZat_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 12:51:40 GMT

Leandro GuimarĂ£es Faria Corsetti Dutra wrote:
> Em Sun, 13 Mar 2005 06:32:08 +0000, FrankHamersley escreveu:
>

>> Sadly for me, I have never ever exhibited any signs of prescience!

> No prescience needed. Lack of integrity constraints other
> than primary keys is incompetence. No other reason possible AFAICS.

Excepting you are a zealot convinced of your own experience, you would concede there is a possibility you are are short sighted?

Sorry to get philosophical here but your experience is and never will be the totality of experiences. If that be the case how can you be so sure that the reasons behind this system are irrational and incompetent?

>>Then look at it this way...if I were the said developer and had the
>>ear of the business (by way of having successfully supported their
>>goals) no amount of high church theory or lists of qualifications
>>from esteemed institutions would prevent me from getting them to
>>wipe the floor with your ego.  This would occur about 30 seconds
>>after you called me an incompetent!

> So an incompetent developer has the ear of the business to
> make them pay more for slower, lower-quality apps than they should,
> and is ignorant and arrogant to boot.

Bah - using "incompetent", "slower, "lower-quality", "ignorant" and "arrogant" - you haven't got a shred of evidence any or all of these applies - must be preconceived notions - very enlightened of you!

> What else have you proved than that capitalism without
> education and morals is no good?

Bit of topic are we not? Not that I don't agree the sentiment.

>>Never ever underestimate the power of the creator's ego - most
>>particularly if they have the high ground.  A dogmatic approach is
>>by far the easiest threat for them to shoot down in these types of
>>circumstances.

> What's dogmatic here? Stating the obvious?

Yes - because you certainly wouldn't be listening it seems.

>>Sounds like you aren't...as you seem to be espousing the view that big
>>companies are incapable of doing anything correctly - period!

> No, *this* particular big company *did* something incorrectly.

Possible, even probable....but not certain.

The "incompetence and no other possibility will be entered into" stance taken by some writers in this place vests no glory for them who claim to be in leadership roles. That is arrogance and

Just look at the reactions of opposing jousters in this thread where I have attacked their ego by using an equally inflammatory word "dogmatic" (in my native language at least) to their "incompetent". Did any (yet) retract and concede they overstated their case? Not as far as I can see....they lept to defend their position (IMO) until it was/or is untenable to continue. Who knows I may yet suffer the same fate.

Cheers, Frank. Received on Tue Mar 15 2005 - 13:51:40 CET

Original text of this message