Re: Data Constraints Vs Application Constraints

From: Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra <leandro_at_dutra.fastmail.fm>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 13:28:41 -0300

Em Sun, 13 Mar 2005 06:32:08 +0000, FrankHamersley escreveu:

> Sadly for me, I have never ever exhibited any signs of prescience!

        No prescience needed. Lack of integrity constraints other than primary keys is incompetence. No other reason possible AFAICS.

> Then look at it this way...if I were the said developer and had the
> ear of the business (by way of having successfully supported their
> goals) no amount of high church theory or lists of qualifications
> from esteemed institutions would prevent me from getting them to
> wipe the floor with your ego. This would occur about 30 seconds
> after you called me an incompetent!

        So an incompetent developer has the ear of the business to make them pay more for slower, lower-quality apps than they should, and is ignorant and arrogant to boot.

        What else have you proved than that capitalism without education and morals is no good?

> Never ever underestimate the power of the creator's ego - most
> particularly if they have the high ground. A dogmatic approach is
> by far the easiest threat for them to shoot down in these types of
> circumstances.

        What's dogmatic here? Stating the obvious?

> Sounds like you aren't...as you seem to be espousing the view that big
> companies are incapable of doing anything correctly - period!

        No, *this* particular big company *did* something incorrectly.

--
Leandro Guimarães Faria Corcete Dutra <leandro_at_dutra.fastmail.fm>
Maringá, PR, BRASIL                            +55 (44) 3025 6253