Re: SQL Standards

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 18:12:41 -0800

Mark D Powell wrote:

> Is this post about the ANSI or the ISO standards committee? I am not
> sure that disolving is a bad thing. This may in fact even be a normal
> procedure. A new committee can be formed a couple of years down the
> road when all the major databases in fact implement the full standards.
> I am willing to bet money that ANSI standards committees have come,
> gone, and re-formed before.
>
> Just curious to the full story and facts
> -- Mark D Powell --

I'd be interested too. My main reason to belive the committee provides no value is as follows:

If creators of databases don't follow the standard ... then the standard is meaningless.

If creators of databases do follow the standard ... then they have commiditized their offerings and the result will be (A) purchases based on price alone, and (B) Microsoft wins.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington